Brain Health - feeding your wellness
Taking care of your brain is so important and something that we may take for granted while we are younger.
There are many ways to reduce your risk of cognitive decline, memory loss and brain related illnesses as we age.
1. Exercise Regularly - exercise improves blood flow to the brain and to the body. It can also improve your memory, enhance learning, improve your mood and increase your ability to think more clearly. Increased exercise means reduced risk of cognitive decline.
2. Eat A Healthy & Balanced Diet - focus on eating healthy fats (unsaturated fats), fruits & vegetables, fish, lean protein, nuts/seeds and wholesome grains each day. Antioxidant rich foods can also help defend your brain against the harmful effects of oxidation caused by stress and environmental factors. Reduce your intake of saturated fats, trans fats and sugars.
3. Maintain A Healthy Body, Inside & Out - Medical conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, depression, head traumas as well as negative social habits such as smoking can all increase your risk of dementia. Get your regular check ups and focus on controlling these risk factors. A healthy heart will promote a healthy brain.
4. Get Your Rest - Getting a good nights sleep not only allows you to wake feel resting and energized, it also has beneficial effects on your immune system and your mood and may decrease your risk of Alzheimer's Disease.
5. De-Stress/Relax - keep positive & be happy. Do your best to remove the stress from your life and find a healthy way to manage it. Practice yoga, meditation and mindfulness.
6. Exercise Your Mind - mental activities may promote new brain cell growth and improve your brains function. Do puzzles, learn something new, play games, read, anything that challenges your brain. Use it or lose it!
7. Be Social - spending time with friends and family may help prevent memory loss. Stimulate your mind through conversation with others and engaging in social outings.
It's never to late to make a healthy change to your diet and lifestyle. Start your journey to better health today and reduce your risk of age related health issues and diseases. Your body and brain will thank you!