5 Ways To Use Lavender
What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Lavender?
I picture the peaceful fields of purple flowers and instantly find myself at peace. As a naturopathic doctor I often use herbal medicine, or plants, in my practice to help patients with their health goals. Lavender, or Lavendula angustifolia, is one of the most common anxiolytic herbs. While it is gentle, it also has the ability to strengthen our nervous system and help with exhaustion. Native to the Mediterranean region, the Arabian Peninsula, Russia, and Africa, it has been used throughout history medically, cosmetically, and in the kitchen. Here are a few more ways you can add lavender to your life and experience all the calming benefits this beautiful plant!
1. Diffuse the oil: Lavender essential oil is the perfect oil to diffuse into a room. Add a few drops to your diffuser, humidifier, or simply a bowl of hot water – sit back and relax as the soothing smell fills the room and helps you unwind. This is perfect when done 20 minutes before bed or after returning home from a busy day.
2. Destress with “perfume”: If you start to feel yourself become anxious during the day, add a few drops of essential oil to your wrists. Breathing in the fragrant smell will instantly put you at ease.
3. Sip on some tea: Place 1 teaspoon of dried lavender in one cup of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes and then enjoy! Lavender does have a strong taste however, so another option would be to mix it with your favourite herbal tea to enhance the flavour.
4. Place on your pillow: Place a few drops of the essential oil on your palms and smooth on your pillow prior to bed. The relaxing smell will help you calm down, fall asleep easier and have a better sleep overall.
5. Consider a lavender natural health supplement: Lavender has been used medicinally to help with anxiety, depression, insomnia and headaches. In my practice I have used lavender with a variety of patients. Personally I have seen the benefits for calming anxiety and helping with sleep concerns. Curious if lavender would be a great additional to your daily routine? Book an appointment with me today to discuss your health concerns today!
-Lavender. Natural medicines. Retrieved from: https://naturalmedicines-therapeuticresearch-com.ccnm.idm.oclc.org/databases/food,-herbs-supplements/professional.aspx?productid=838
Disclaimer: Any information is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be used in place of professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care practitioner with any questions or health concerns you may have.